Friday, August 03, 2007

Mike McCardell Blasts The Panhandlers



I don't normally watch Mike McCardell's fluff pieces which end the 6:00 PM Global News Hour. They are usually so lame and boring that I wonder why he gets paid for them.

Stories about people and their pets, or kids and their bikes or some old folks celebrating anniversaries. Stuff that's supposed to make you "feel good" after the sad news of the day.

I find it tedious.

But last night old Mikey was MAD! He was mad at the panhandlers which are spoiling his enjoyment of his adopted city, Vancouver.

He was MAD that visitors were seeing this blight and MAD that citizens were regularly bothered and pestered by these lazy bums.

In his day no one would even remotely consider a career of panhandling. In his day people had pride and self worth and would never lower themselves to "ask" for money.

I get mad too.

I get mad when you can't enjoy a July 1st walk in your own park without being "asked" to donate to some cause of dubious need. These are officially sanctioned beggars.

I get mad when public events are held on taxpayer ground and asked for a "donation".

I get mad when telemarketers phone me at my dinner break and ask for my money for some useless service or product.

I get mad when I want to drive along my taxpayer paid scenic highway and am met by a disgusting display of Billboards begging for my money.

I get mad when my television viewing is interrupted by intelligence insulting advertisements asking me for my cash.

Mike, the truth is that almost everyone is begging for our money. The only difference is who is doing it and how they do it.

Your little tirade against the poor, the mentally disturbed and the plain lazy was hilarious considering how you make your money.

To call you a journalist is to call me a writer. I don't pretend to be and neither should you pretend to be a journalist. I can't believe they pay you for the fluff you usually vomit.

And when you finally get serious you blast the poorest and least represented of us all. You're a fine fellow aren't you?

These people who panhandle are, for the most part, unemployable. No one would want them because of their lack of skills (technical and social), their emotional baggage, or their physical appearance.

No one wants them.

Until panhandling is illegal they have a right to do what they do, disturbing as it may seem to us all.

Just like telemarketers have a right to bother us in our own homes, for now at least.

Mike, go back to your fluff that no one watches. You're harmless that way.

And Mike, ever thought about a diet?