Monday, January 21, 2008

Can I Have My Rash Back?




About 6 years ago, for no apparent reason that I can think of, I developed a rash on my lower right leg. Just above the ankle and extending along the side and front shin area for about 6 inches upward toward the knee.

It developed overnight and was with me for about 18 months, off and on. It went as quickly as it came and has never returned.

I miss it. This rash had one overwhelming quality, it was itchy as hell. It was never sore, just unsightly and itchy.

And scratching it was the absolute best feeling on earth. I'm not sure what kind of hormones or dopamine or seratonins or other feel good agents were released into my bloodstream when this rash was scratched but it must have bin akin to a junkie filling his veins with heroin. It felt that good.

The only reason I would ever stop scratching was because blood was starting to surface, then I knew I had to stop until the area healed and I could scratch some more. I had to develop new ways of scratching to prevent the blood, like scratching backwards so the dull end of my nails pestered the surface of my skin.

I would let the urge to scratch build up as long as possible. Then I knew that when I finally did scratch, it would be like a trip to heaven. God did it feel good!

I think of that rash now and then and feel blessed that it visited me for that short time. That kind of euphoria is rare these days. I wish it would return but I have no idea how to acquire it again.

Whatever it is that provides that intensely enjoyable feeling needs to be manufactured and marketed. It's in the body anyway, it must be natural, it must be good.