Monday, February 19, 2007

Vancouver 2010 Olympics



I don't support the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. I don't see why I should in any way or why anyone should.

I don't care about the Olympics or the Olympic athletes. I don't care how well or how poorly Canada does at the Olympics.

If Canada wins zero medals I won't feel badly about my country. And if they win 20 Gold medals I won't feel any better about Canada.

That's because I don't judge my Nation or any other Nation on how well their athletes perform.

I refuse to give any money to the Olympic "Charities". To those athletes who are giving up their childhood and social life to make Mommy and Daddy proud with the hope of qualifying for the Olympics. I say, get a real job!

I sympathize with the protesters in Vancouver who are justifiably concerned that poverty stricken people are being displaced by landlords who are using the Olympics as an excuse to raise rental rates to extortion levels.

The principal beneficiaries of the Vancouver Olympics will be Big Business. Make no mistake.

The masses of population watching on TV will be suckered into an event they are being sold as something that really matters.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Escapism, maybe that's its only value. But I'll be mourning the loss of my regular TV and NHL schedule for those two weeks, not cheering on some so called athletes that I hadn't heard of previously and won't hear of again.