Monday, August 13, 2007

Why Did You Buy That Ragtop Anyway?



My 1994 Mustang GT


Human behaviour is a strange thing. Most of us find it amusing to analyse the motives behind human actions, or inactions.

People have a right to do whatever they want with their own property in most cases, so long as the general public is not adversely affected.

Ok, to the point.

I have a convertible which I enjoy driving March through October. If it is not raining and if the temperature range is anywhere between 10 and 30 C I will drive this vehicle and the top will be down.

I would not consider keeping the top up if the above conditions were met. You could say I drive my car topless about 95% of the time.

Having a convertible I tend to notice other convertibles on the road.

It is absolutely astounding to me that most people who own convertibles seem to drive them with the top up.

My guess is that 75% of convertibles on the road, even with ideal weather conditions, have their tops up.

Even on the most beautiful, pristine days with optimum temperatures between 18 and 25, the vast majority of convertible cars out their have the tops up.

I can't for the life of me understand why.

I can understand people not owning convertibles.

They cost 10 to 25% more than a fixed roof.
They are noisier (even with the top up).
The styling is usually not as attractive with the top up.
Maintenance and weatherproofing issues (rare).

But for those who have made the decision to purchase a convertible, why not use it?

For me, topless driving is the most true and pleasurable driving. The sounds, smells and temperature changes in the air as one passes through it make you really feel alive.

I wish I could stop a driver in his tracks and ask him why, for God's sake why, he doesn't take advantage of his vehicle's most prominent feature, all the time.