Sunday, March 18, 2007

Say Goodbye to Movie Theatres


A couple of weeks ago my wife and I decided to take in a movie, only because we had been given free passes and they were due to expire shortly.

Thankfully the theatre is about a 3 minute drive from our home, so that part was easy. The movie we went to see was The Number 23 with Jim Carry.

I don't got to movie theatres very often and when I do, it just re-affirms the reasons that I don't.

For one thing, when I get home from work and plop myself in my Laz-E-Boy, I don't want to have to get up from it until bed-time. I like to sit there in front of my 63" Big Screen (old fashioned rear projection that it is) and enjoy my favorite TV enhanced with my sound surround system.

I don't like venturing out into the night.

But anyway, we were there. I knew what was going to happen and it did. No sooner had the movie started (after 4 previews, or advertising as it should be called) I could fill my bladder calling. Of course I tried to hold it but I knew that at one point during the movie I would have to get up and do that thing.

Where's a "Pause" button when you need it? The other thing I knew that would happen and did was that I started to nod off. This is no reflection on the quality of the film, its just something I do after a long hard day at work.

This particular film has quite a complex storyline and nodding off is not conducive to understanding what is going on. I tried my best to keep alert.

The seating tried to help me too. Those chairs they have there ain't no Laz-E-Boys!
And while they and the leg space have improved over the ages I find it a real task to find a comfy spot for my body for any length of time.

There is no way I would pay for this. There is nothing in a movie theatre that can compensate for the loss of a refrigerator, personal toilet, Laz-E-Boy or, most importantly, the Pause Button.

In a few years most families will have High Definition large screens and Blue Ray HD DVD's to rent.

Why would anyone want to go to a movie theatre in that case? It makes no sense to be uncomfortable as hell, to lose all your conveniences AND to watch inferior picture quality. Even if it were free it would make no sense.

The truth is that movie theatres will follow the record/cd stores' fate and become a relic of the past.

I won't miss either.