Monday, January 08, 2007

Cruel But True Observation



I live in Kelowna, B.C., a town with a lot of beautiful people making or having lots of money (I'm not one of them).

The economy is, at present, very good. Everyone can find a job and we have an abundance of service industries that pay lower than average wages.

It wasn't always this economically good here. I remember not too long ago when the unemployment rate was nearly 10% and university graduates were pumping gas, stunning beauties ran the cash registers.

Now the opposite is true. And you can see it with your eyes.

Go into any Walmart, Costco, or in the case of where I was yesterday, Canadian Tire and you will find the ugliest people in town.

Before you get on my case let me qualify. I'm talking about preventable ugliness. I'm talking about hair being uncombed and in some cases unwashed. I'm talking about women that desperately need make-up not wearing any. I'm talking about grossly obese women and men that obviously don't care what they look like.

Or the elderly, just a few hugs short of the Nursing Home.

In tougher economic times, these people would be unemployable, they look that bad. Now, employers are desperate and they'll take pretty much anyone that can walk.

It the price we pay for a good economy.

Try it when travelling. Go into any town, check out those employed at local retailers and you'll get a good indication of the current economy.