Saturday, January 06, 2007

Security Defeats Common Sense



Recently, as reported in this CBC news release a minor security breach at the Vancouver International Airport caused flight delays for thousands of passengers.

When these minor infractions happen, airport officials go By The Book, abandoning any common sense and discretion and screw as many people as they can.

It's absolutely insane. And what's worse is that most passengers, brainwashed by fear of "the terrorists" go along with it despite the incredible inconvenience and the destruction of their travel plans.

Nothing changes if no one objects.

I remember, two hours into a return airline trip from Hawaii, the pilot getting on the PA and informing us: "We have to return to Maui because of a possible fuel pump malfunction." He went on to say: "Don't worry, we have a redundant system in place, there is no danger".

My job dropped and I said to my wife: "If there is no danger then why the f--- are we returning to Maui?"

I cannot believe how many people won't take some of the most minutest risks.

I think I missed my calling in life, I should have been in the Scam they call the insurance business because I think a lot about Risk Assessment. I really enjoy pondering the odds of some event happening and how it stacks up against the frequency other events.

In this recent case, and in most cases like this where some airport security procedure has not been followed 100%, the risk of disaster is too minimal to consider.

I would go on to say that the risk of injury or death is 100 to 1000 fold greater for any person during their trip to the airport than in the case of someone bypassing a security gate. A gate manned by minimal wage people who don't really give a shit anyway.

Why do we let ourselves be manipulated by fear? Makes me believe that the Terrorists have indeed won.