Sunday, December 17, 2006

Movies



Movies pretty much follow the 80/20 rule, the 80% being those not worth seeing. Of the remaining 20%, 5% might be really entertaining and 1% incredible.

It's tough to find a good movie and that's one reason I avoid going to the movie theatres.

Shelling out $20 for the two of us to see a boring movie doesn't do it for me.

But there are some Gems out there. One movie that really surprised me at how good it was, no, make that how GREAT it was was: King Kong. Usually over hyped huge budgeted movies turn out to be a real letdown and I was totally prepared to be let down.

But I have to say this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. This is a movie that had everything from spectacular special effects to heartrending emotion.

Naomi Watts has to be considered one of the world's finest big screen actresses and she was just that in this movie.

You have to see her in Mulholland Dr.!!

King Kong is really incredible entertainment.

Then there are those small budgeted films like I saw today. Films that no one has heard of outside maybe the film crew and actors that were involved with them.

The film is called The Lotus Eaters, a 1993 movie filmed on location on Galiano Island in British Columbia.

Super low budget but a real Gem of a movie. No special effects, no big stars but a nice little story with easily identifiable characters.

I'm not sure if this one is even on DVD but if you come across it, you'll like it.