Friday, December 29, 2006

Parents: What's The Point?



I was shopping at our local Save-On Foods store, or rather I was tagging along as my wife shopped.

At the checkout I noticed the cashier's name badge, her name was Alyxsus. Every time I see a name like that I wonder what their parents were thinking.

For her entire life she will have to spell out her name to everyone she meets. Why not just name her Alexis? Then most people would automatically write down the default name which is most common.

Karin is another one. Karun, Karin, Carin, Carun, Karen, Caren. Why burden someone with names with multiple spellings? Whats the point of that?

Why name a boy Jon, when most know the spelling as John? Or Marc instead of Mark? Or Jasun instead of Jason.

We all know you want your child to be "unique" but just think of the hassle he or she has to got through because of your whim.

Don't do it.

Keith, not Keeth, Kieth or Keyth