Monday, November 27, 2006

Left Lane Driving


First, let's establish some facts.

1. The RCMP in the Province of British Columbia will grant you 10 kph above the posted maximum speed before they will consider charging you with speeding.

2. One of the safest driving habits is to put as much space between yourself and other motorists as you can.

3. I am probably one of the world's best civilian (as opposed to racing) drivers. In 35 years of driving I have had only one extremely minor fender bender, more like a painter scraper that happened in November of 2003. I'm not counting My Near Death Experience as an accident since no damage was done.

The image attached represents the general thinking of the driving community and driving authorities.

I think it's crap. If everyone drove in the right lane we would have a problem with fact # 2. That lane becomes too crowded, it's only responsible to occupy the left lane to ease the pressure on the right lane.

I always drive at the maximum allowable speed, which Fact # 1 says is 99 in a 90 zone and 89 in a 80 zone. Most people in the right lane are driving anywhere from 90 to 99 in the 90 zone. If I drove in the right lane also I would be constantly moving to the left and moving back into the right throughout the course of my trip.

I think you will agree that the less traffic maneuvers you make, the safer the trip.

So I drive in the left hand lane usually when on the highway.

So say someone comes up behind me while I am in the left hand lane? The rule says I should pull over to the right hand land and I am saying why should I?

If I am travelling at the MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE SPEED and someone is coming up behind me, that means he is travelling at a ticketable speed. So why should I inconvenience myself so someone can break the law?! Isn't that called aiding and abetting a crime?

If the person behind me wants to blatantly break the law why shouldn't he move over to the right hand lane then move over to the left and keep going?

Obviously I am not going to encourage a road rage condition and I usually will move over to the right only because of Fact # 3. However I have saved a few speeders' asses in my time by holding them up just before going through a Laser Trap. That's when I say to myself "damn I should have let him through".

So I am saying that this policy of "Keep Right Except To Pass" is one of the dumbest traffic rules established. If they want to have a rule concerning this it should be "Left Lane Yield To Faster Traffic".