Thursday, November 09, 2006

Value


This is a topic I find myself revisiting in my mind quite often. What gives value? I would say that the more difficult something is to acquire and retain, the more value it has.

So for every individual the concept of value can be remarkably different.

This could be a material thing or an intangible idea, quality or lifestyle. I have a 1994 Mustang GT Convertible that I am very fond of. It's in very good condition and has a street market value of maybe $8000, give or take. And yet I would not consider selling it for under $15,000. Because it has much more value to me than an objective Blue Book figure.

In fact I would go further and say that my Mustang has more value to me than a Millionaire's brand new Porsche. His Porsche can be easily replaced and the Millionaire no doubt has so many other things of value that his Porsche is one among many.

Another example: Sex. There are many young attractive women who have said "I'm just not into casual sex". And there are just as many young men who think of nothing but "casual sex".
Why? Because the attractive young female can acquire a sexual partner at her will and therefore that kind of liaison has little value for her.

There are always exceptions, there are a type of young man that can also easily acquire a partner, unfortunately I was never one of them. Generally speaking though, a young single man will place a higher value on a casual sex relationship than a woman would simply because there is a greater effort required to achieve it and the chances for another may be few and far between.

I sometimes really wonder about what others hold as valuable. For me, expensive jewellery is a ridiculous waste of money. It does nothing except to say "I have money to waste". I hate going out to eat because I don't feel I get any value for my money. I am paying $40 for a meal that could be made for $5 at home. I have to drive there and I have to wait for my meal and then I have to tip the waiter for the privilege. And yet there are restaurants everywhere!

I value my two days off a week but if I only worked two days would I value the five days I had off as much?

What a person values says a lot about them. Might be a good idea to take inventory of what we value and why we value it.