Monday, November 13, 2006

Technology: Many Are Being Left Behind


I think most Bloggers are seriously into technology, some may be called technophiles.

I try to do my best to keep up with the latest gadgetry. But its growth is exponential, every day new advances in technology make what was "state of the art" last month obsolete.

About a year ago, I read a "letter to the editor" written by an elderly lady who was very dissapointed that the CBC had shifted her favorite TV show "Coronation Street" from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM.

Now, she said, she could never watch it.

Apparantly this lady had not heard of the VCR, a technology that has been around since the mid 80's. I go to bed at 10 each night and have been watching Jay Leno for the last 10 years.

I have a co-worker that would like to watch DottoTech TV that comes on every Saturday. But she is always doing something and doesn't know how to program the VCR!

It's really sad that people will not spend 5 minutes to make the effort to learn a technology that will enhance their lifestyle.

I don't think these instances are isolated. The VCR is now ancient technology, what hope do they have to understand the new technologies of today and tomorrow?

I have a lot of "stuff". My list of current computers is here. I also have 3 PVR's. Those are Personal Video Recorders. And of all the good cool stuff I have, they would rank right up there with the computers for value.

Two of them have hard drives on them. I seldom, if ever, watch live TV. I can't stand the intelligence insulting advertisements. Everything is recorded for a time when I want to watch it. I can watch a full hockey game, normally 2 1/2 to 3 hours in lenghth, in 80-90 minutes. And I can watch it when I want.

There is new stuff I read about and try and understand, but it's a challange. The kids are growing up with it, they at least have a chance to keep pace.

Everyone is busy and learning technolgies and especially new software takes time, a commodity few people have.

Video games are at the cutting edge of software technology, they are the closet thing we have to "virtual reality". Learning the games takes hours and hours of practise and trial and error, and that's just for one game!

I play only two games, NHL2007 and Colin McRae Rally 2005. I'd like to play more, but I don't have time to learn them, let alone get good at them.

Technology is like your waistline. You either have to keep up with it or let it go completely.