Thursday, November 30, 2006

Politics


I enjoy following provincial and federal politics. I'm not as cynical as some towards politicians and their motives.

I really believe that those entering Politics want to do something to improve the country. After all most are educated, articulate and have the social skills to be very financially successful in private life. So they aren't doing it for money or an expense account.

The problem for most Politicians when they get to Ottawa or Victoria is the established system. Bureaucrats run the country and to make any significant change requires at least a Cabinet Post. So they have to tow the Party Line and not make waves. I don't think you can make a significant change without making waves.

For the last 15 or so years I have been voting for the NDP candidate, regardless of who it was. I believe you should vote for the Party and not the Candidate because, as mentioned, the Candidate will have little or no power once he acquires a seat.

I vote NDP not because I agree with their views, although I do agree with many.
I vote for that party because it represents a viable opposite view to the unfortunate conservative trend that has gripped North America.

If we talk about left and right wing politics, I would say I am definitely to the left of centre. But you know if the NDP were in power and I felt trends were swinging too far to the left I might even vote Liberal or Conservative.

The point is to get representation of all points of view in Parliament.

A strong Opposition is the most important result of any election. Astonishingly there are those that won't vote for a particular party because "they have no chance of winning". Yikes.

I know the NDP will probably never win a Federal Election in my lifetime but I think it's critically important that their views be heard.

In British Columbia, we have a slightly right of centre government led by Gordon Campbell.

I think he has done a pretty good job overall, but I still will vote NDP because I know he'll do even a better job if a strong Opposition is across the House Floor.