Sunday, November 26, 2006

Old Machines and Old Ladies


I love old machines! Old tractors or cars or old farm equipment. If I see one on the side of a road I try to stop and get a picture. The rustier and extremely decrepit they are the better I like them.

The tractor shown is on display in Keremeos, BC.

At one time they were the apple of some farmers eye. Maybe they were some one's first car and that someone was so proud! He drove it everywhere, showing it off. It took him places he could not have otherwise gone.

Maybe he or she made out in the back seat, maybe even a child was conceived there.

And the tractor? Who knows how many fields were plowed and how many bales of hay it hauled or how many seeds it helps sow? At one time these things were indispensable to someones life. They worked hard and long. People were proud of them at one time.

Sometimes when I look at a very old woman (and I see a lot of them in my line of work) I wonder what they were like when they were young and vibrant and beautiful.

At one time they were the object of many a young man's lust. And maybe many times they satisfied that lust. Maybe they were great lovers and had many romances. How many hearts had they broken and how many times had their hearts been?

Unfortunately now in their old age, unlike the old tractors, no one wants their picture let alone desires them. I'd rather take a picture of a rusting tractor than a picture of an aged woman.

But still sometimes I wonder what they were like when they were young and beautiful.