Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Vancouver Canucks


Ok, something less controversial this morning. I'm a huge Canucks fan. Not a crazy one, like I don't have my walls laced with banners and pictures of my "heroes" but I have followed the team since their inception in, um 1969? I think that's when they started.

This year under coach Alain Vigneault they are playing really well, even though their record of 8-7-1 might not indicate it. I've never seen them work so hard at their defensive game. Even with peachfuzz-faced rookie defensemen they are keeping the shots against and opposition scoring chances way down.

It demonstrates what a bad coach Crawford really was.

You know what I hated about Crawford the most? Never once, not for one shift, ever did he play Marcus Naslund with the Sedin Twins. Why would he not at least try that? Especially last year when the Sedins were thriving and Marcus was struggling. If Anson Carter could get 30 goals playing with them, Naslund would have got over 50.

This year Vigneault started the season with Marcus with the Sedins and were an instant success! Unfortunately, lately that line has been broken up. I don't agree with that decision. I know they like Pyatt in front of the net and Pyatt is scoring. But Pyatt can still stand in front of the net playing with Morrison and Cooke/Bulis just as well.

But at least Vigneault tried that line, knows what they can do and knows he can go back to it. Which is more than Crawford ever did.

Unfortunately for Marcus Naslund, he is not going to have a lot of fun playing with losers like Morrison and Bulis (the Bust).