Monday, November 20, 2006

Studies Have Shown....


From a previous post (I am sure you've read them all) you know that I watch the Vancouver Global News team at 6 PM every day.

Most of my news and information I acquire from the Internet, I don't watch this TV News Show for the news. I watch it to observe how they present the news.

How many times will Tony Parsons stutter? How many clever quips will Squire Barns produce? How HOT is Robin Stickley today? How arrogant will Chris Gailus be? How (unintentionally) goofy Mark Madryga? How satiric Barry Delay? And then there is "the New Girl", Krista something or other.

A popular phrase used by newscasters is : "Studies Have Shown" and they then proceed to provide a lot of unsubstantiated information to enhance the chosen story.

What studies? Can they not provide a brief screen shot of the actual reference? They can't because I think that often there isn't one.

I am convinced that in weekly meetings they decide what topic they are going to pound to death for the next week. It might be Street Racing, Underfunded Hospitals, Youth Gangs, Immigration, Local Heroes, whatever.

Then the producer calls out: "Who wants to make up the stories for this one?" and "Don't forget to include the imaginary studies!"

Cynical? Maybe so. But Studies Have Shown that at least 20% of all news stories are totally fabricated.

It's the good old 80/20 Rule.